If you’re looking for fun and easy Cricut paper projects, you’ve come to the right place! I’ll show you everything you need to get started, including tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Cricut machine. So whether you’re a newbie or a long-time pro, we’ve covered all the paper crafts bases for you!
This post is sponsored by Cricut. All opinions give are completely my own.
Cricut machines are electronic cutting machines that can cut various materials, including paper. Paper crafting is the art of creating decorative items using, you guessed it…paper. Cricut machines make it easy to create intricate designs and shapes out of paper. Whereas before, you may have spent hours cutting a design, you can now just send the cut file to your Cricut!
My favorite machine is the Cricut Maker 3, but any of their machines will do a great job with the paper. The main difference will be the surface area. The Cricut Joy will work great for you if you want to do smaller projects. If you’d like to work with a larger work area, you’ll want to get the Cricut Maker 3, Cricut Maker, Cricut Explore 3, or Cricut Explore Air.
Paper crafting is a great way to add personalization to your projects. You can use Cricut machines to cut out letters, numbers, and shapes to create unique embellishments for your scrapbook pages, cards, and other papercraft projects. You can also use Cricut machines to cut heat transfer vinyl (iron-on vinyl), Cricut vinyl, stickers, Cricut Infusible Ink, and more. Still, for this article, I’ll stick with talking about paper. You’re sure to see that Cricut machines are a must-have for any paper crafter or DIYer!
Supplies needed for paper crafting with a Cricut
You’ll need a few things to start with Cricut paper crafting projects:
- You’ll, of course, need a Cricut cutting machine. You can choose from various devices, depending on your needs and budget. Check out this article if you need help deciding which machine suits you.
- You’ll need some good-quality paper. Various papers are available at Cricut, including cardstock, patterned paper, and even Insert Card packs. Choose something that will work well for the project you have in mind.
- You’ll need basic crafting supplies like pens, markers, scissors, adhesives, and embellishments like ribbon or sequins.
- The desired item you’d like to cut out. I’m a massive fan of all the images in Design Space and highly suggest subscribing to their Cricut Access Plan!
With these supplies, you can start creating beautiful paper Cricut crafts!
Another helpful tool on hand is any one of the Cricut Maker tools. The Cricut Scoring Tool is a great tool to have on hand when working on paper projects. It allows you to score fold lines into your paper so that your folds are nice and crisp. Perfect for making paper flowers! I’m also a massive fan of the Debossing Tool to create a pleasant and professional look for invitations or greeting cards.
Regarding paper projects, the Cricut Foil Transfer Kit is another great item to have on hand. This easy-to-use tool can add a touch of glamour to any paper project with its foil accents. Follow the instructions to apply a unique and stylish touch to any paper project. You can get more details about the Cricut Foil tool here.
Other tools besides the Cricut would come in handy for beginners’ paper projects. A cutting mat is always helpful to have on hand, as it provides a stable surface and can help protect your furniture or countertops. A straight edge or ruler can help measure and cut straight lines. And if you’re looking to add some embellishments to your paper projects, a hole punch or stapler can come in handy. With these tools, you’ll be able to tackle any paper tutorial you can dream up!
How to create projects in Cricut Design Space
Doing projects with your Cricut machine is easy and fun! Here’s how to get started:
- You’ll need to create a new project in Cricut Design Space. To do this, click on the “New Project” button in the top right corner of the Design Space homepage.
- A new canvas will pop up.
- Now it’s time to start adding some content to your project! To do this, click on “Images” in the left-hand menu.
- Find an image you want to use and click on it to select it.
- Depending on the type of paper project you’ll be making and the tools you’re using, you may need to adjust the cut tools. You can do this in the “Operation” pull-down menu.
- When ready, click the green “Make It” button in the top right corner to send it to your machine.
- Follow the prompts, and your project will be cut perfectly!
Tips for choosing the right paper for your project
When crafting with a Cricut machine, one of the most important things to consider is what type of paper you will use for your project. Many styles and weights of paper are available in the Cricut store, each with its advantages and disadvantages. These are my tips for choosing the right paper for your next Cricut project:
- The first thing to consider is what kind of project you are making. You can use lighter-weight paper if you are making a simple card or something that doesn’t need to be very sturdy. But if you are making something that will be handled a lot or needs to be durable, like a sign or banner, you will want to use heavier-weight paper.
- Next, think about the color and design of your project. If you’re unsure what color or design you want for your project, think about your project’s overall theme or mood. For example, if you’re making a scrapbook about your summer vacation, you might want to use bright colors that reflect the sunny days spent at the beach. If you’re working on a project for a friend’s wedding, softer colors might be more appropriate.
- Start creating! Once you know the colors of paper you want, browse through the design options on Cricut’s website or app to see what speaks to you. There are thousands of designs to choose from, so take your time to find something perfect for your project.
How to cut and assemble your paper project
Assuming you have a cutting machine and the required tools (scissors, weeding hook, etc.), paper crafting is a breeze! I’ll use a Halloween Haunted House Invitation to show how easy it is to foil, cut, and assemble beginner Cricut projects.
- Begin by selecting the design you want to cut from your Cricut library. For this project, we will be cutting a Halloween Haunted House Invitation which you can find on my Design Space profile.
- Next, load your paper into the cutting mat. Make sure it is lined up correctly and inserted into the machine.
- Follow the prompts in Design Space to set up your paper to foil and cut. Don’t forget to move all of the rollers off to the side.
- Press the “Cut” button on your Cricut machine and watch as it does all the work!
- Once the cutting is complete, remove your paper from the mat and begin assembly.
- To assemble, adhere elements together using glue or double-sided tape and fold over the fronts of the card to finish.
Your Halloween Haunted House Invitation is ready to pass out to all young and old kids!
In conclusion, the Cricut machine is an excellent tool for anyone who loves crafting. With the Cricut, you can do paper projects that are both fun and easy. Cricut tutorials are perfect for gifts, birthday parties, baby showers, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, and more!
So why are you waiting? Get yourself a Cricut and start doing some fantastic paper projects today!